Monday, February 13, 2012

super bowl sunday!

Adam and I have made a tradition out of watching the Super Bowl with our good friends, Seth and Tanya Spratt.  Each year is full of laughter and lots of eating.  Last Sunday was no exception.  Adam even dressed in red and blue to support the Giants... since when is he a Giants fan?

My favorite part of these evenings is always eating tremendous amounts of food, especially this year since I am "eating for two."  Without fail, Seth always cooks Lil' Smokies in a speciality sauce as well as a large amount of burnt Chex mix.  I always try to contribute to the feast of goodies with 7 Layer Dip.  This year, I found a recipe at allrecipes.com and doctored it a bit.  I was a little wary on how it would turn out, but to my surprise everyone seemed to really enjoy it.  The recipe makes a ton and the four of us only got through about 1/4 of the dish.  Adam took the rest to work with him the following Monday and the guys polished it off before 10am.  Here is the recipe for your enjoyment!

polished off at work
Ingredients:

1 1/2 lb of hamburger (cooked with packet of taco seasoning)

1 16 oz can of refried beans (mixed with 1 small can of green chilies)
5 cups of Cheddar-Monterey Jack Cheese blend
1 8 oz container of sour cream
1 cup guacomole (I used organic Wholly Guacamole that I found at the store b/c avocados were yuck. I used about three packets of it.)
1 cup salsa (fresh from grocery store mixed with El Pato)
1 2.25 oz can of black olives (I just used half the can)
1/2 chopped tomatoes
1/2 chopped green onions

Directions:

1. Brown ground hamburger (I mixed it with taco seasoning and prepared it as directed on the packet), set aside to cool to room temperature

2. Spread beans at the bottom of a 9x13 dish (I mixed the beans with a small can of chopped green chilies). Sprinkle 1/2 of the shredded cheese on top. Sprinkle beef on top of cheese. Spread sour cream slowly on top of beef. Spread guacamole on top of sour cream. Pour fresh salsa (I it mixed it with El Pato - find in the Mexican aisle) over guac. Spread remaining cheese on top of salsa. Sprinkle olives, green onions, and tomatoes on top.

3. You can serve immediately or refrigerate over night and serve cold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment