Monday, February 6, 2012

nana's delicious oatmeal cookies.

On days when I am snowed in, it always seems like I have a yearning to make oatmeal cookies.  My nana has a great recipe that she gave me.  Not only are these cookies to die for (they are that delicious), but Nana included a little note about my dad and grandfather with the recipe.  It reads:

"I started baking these cookies when Jim was about 3 years old.  He liked to help me and wanted to eat the cookie dough before it was baked.  Ray liked these, too.  I baked this recipe for Jim's senior party from high school held in our back yard.  Enjoy!"

Every time I make these, I often find myself snacking on the dough just like my dad did when he was three.  Now that I am pregnant, it was extra hard this time not to sneak in a couple of bites of dough (it has raw eggs in it).  I did cheat a little bit :)  Peanut didn't complain.

Here is the recipe for these delicious cookies (ignore how much fat and sugar is in them):

Ingredients:
1 c. Crisco
1 c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 c. flour
3 c. Old Fashioned Oats
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
Optional: add any sort of nut, we sometimes use pecans

Directions:

1.  Cream the Crisco
2.  Mix in both brown and white sugars
3.  Add the beaten eggs
4.  Add vanilla
5.  Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt
6.  Stir in the oats
7.  Form dough into small balls (about the size of a quarter)
8.  Bake at 375 degrees for 9 minutes (they might not look done, but they will be)

There you have it!  I perfect snow day treat!  Enjoy!

1 comment: