Friday, November 4, 2011

hmm hmm good

As the weather begins to cool down, I begin to crave fatty foods.  Comfort food is a much better way of thinking about it.  Hmm.... soups, chilli, and carbs.  What more could a Nebraska girl want?  Well, I guess I am a Nebraska girl by way of Texas, so you can add queso to that list. 

One of the students I work with mentioned to me that she had had some chicken and dumplings the other day.  Man, that got my mouth watering.  After meeting with the student, I texted my stepdad, Kevin, asking for his recipe.... he makes the best chicken and dumplings.  I made them last night to Adam's and my delight.  It is a bit of a process, but if you have the patience and the appetite, this meal will treat you right.  I usually use Kevin's guidelines and then kind of wing it the rest of the time.  Because of that, measurements and amounts are not exact.  Here is the recipe for your enjoyment.

Kevin's Chicken and Dumplings

Ingredients:

a whole chicken OR 2 boneless breasts and 6 thighs
approx. 7 large carrots
sweet onion
1 red, orange, yellow bell peppers
approx. 5 celery stalks
crushed red pepper
salt
black pepper
Bisquick
1-2 cups of milk (depending how many dumplings you want to make)

Boil chicken in water with chopped up onion, 1/2 of the carrots, 1/2 of the bell peppers, 1/2 of the celery, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper.  To boil the chicken, I bring the water to a boil and then reduce it to a simmer.  I then cover it and let the chicken cook for 60-75 minutes (depending on the size of the chicken).

Once the chicken is cooked throughout, I keep the chicken water (which is now a broth), straining out the vegetables.  I then add the other 1/2 of the carrots, bell peppers, and celery to the chicken broth.  After cooling, I take the skin off the chicken and cut it off the bone.  I add the chicken to the broth and vegetables.  Put it back on the burner and bring it to a boil again.

While waiting for the vegetables and chicken to boil, follow the instructions to make biscuits (add milk) on the Bisquick box.  Pack biscuit dough into golf ball size balls.  Add dough to the boiling chicken mixture, cover, and let cook for 5-10 minutes.  After that, it is ready to eat (though you might want to let it cool for a bit).  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment