Thursday, November 24, 2011

bffs

I am very fortunate to have some amazing women in my life.  Some of them are related to me like my mom, my aunts, and my grandmother.  My proximity to them makes it easy to recognize the unique qualities that make them amazing.  Other women have entered my life by chance and have become the closest and dearest friends to me.  Two women I have been friends with for a long time are Whitney and Heather. 

I was back home in Lubbock, TX this past week for Thanksgiving and had time to reflect on the things that make Whitney and Heather so special and amazing to me.  I have known both of them for quite some time, meeting Heather in junior high and Whitney in high school.  Heather and I became friends in the 8th grade after spending the entire night talking at Kristin Hill's slumber party.  Whit and I became friends after meeting our Junior year of high school in Mrs. McDaniel's theater class.  As I look back on the times I spent with them during my teens, the memories reflect laughter, tears, joy, love, annoyance, pride, heartache, sorrow, honor, screaming, singing, and Virgiling (inside joke).  Looking back, I wouldn't change anything about my experiences with these lovely ladies.  I have been fortunate enough to maintain these relationships with both of them.  As time has past, all of us have changed and matured.  However, the consistency of our friendships has remained intact and I feel closer to them than I everhave, despite the fact that we now live many miles from each other.

During the precious years of growing up, I really struggled (and still am to an extend) to find my spiritual path.  My mother always tells me that even though I haven't quite found my way, I have found others who are secure in their faith and spirituality and they have guided me towards higher understanding and spiritual enlightenment.  Whitney and Heather have done this for me.   Both women have the courage to put their faith into a higher power and meaning that doesn't always make sense or have logic.  Both of them have been ridiculed and challenged in their beliefs and yet they still hold on to them so strongly.  These aspects of their character I am most drawn to, their faith, courage, and most important quality (in my opinion) grace.  I am so thankful that the universe has sent these amazing women my way to support and nurture me as I find my own spiritual path.  I love them with all my heart and only hope that I can provide a shred of the inspiration to them that they have provided to me.

Whitney, Me, and Heather

1 comment:

  1. Sweetie-- Thank you so much for this. You are such an important part of my life, now and forever. I love you so much! - Heather

    ReplyDelete