Sunday, October 23, 2011

santa on crack

This weekend, my good friend Tanya Spratt and I ventured down to Kansas City (my second weekend spent in the wonderful city) to shop and enjoy the Junior League of Kansas City's Holiday Mart.  To describe Holiday Mart, I have to refer to this blog's title, "Santa on Crack."  Yep, that's right.  Holiday Mart is compiled of over 200 vendors selling clothes, accessories, food, and you got it, Christmas decor.  The "Mart" was held at Kansas City's convention center downtown in one of the humongous exhibit halls.  As one walks in, she (and the sparse he who is either shamed into it or trying to rack up points with his lady) is confronted with an abundance of color, crowds, useless crap, and Christmas music.  I got so overwhelmed with the sensory overload that I physically became dizzy.  I had to sit down on a catwalk for the Dillard's Holiday Style Show.... oh my Lord.

This was my second year to go to Holiday Mart.  Tanya and I made a tradition of it last year when we went with her mom and a friend.  We had so much fun that we decided to come again this year and most likely will make the trip down next year.  The experience is really not about the shopping, even though we never have a problem with that...  Tanya and I just have so much fun together laughing and most often being inappropriate that we keep find ourselves in the mix of this holiday craziness.  http://www.jlkc.org/?nd=photos

So this trip, I learned some valuable lessons that I will most likely revisit if we make the trip down next year.  Here is what I concluded from our trip:

1.  Eating Chick-fil-A in St. Joseph, MO is better than any fancy meal in Kansas City.
2.  I do not like sleeping on Sleep Number beds in hotels.
3.  I become a major beast when I am hungry.
4.  Don't underestimate the sheer pain a stroller can cause when rammed into one's shins and knees in a large crowd.
5.  If you think that the Cajun, Garlic, or Fiesta dip mix you bought last year are going go great with all the parties you have, well think again.  You suddenly remember as you are lured in by the same cute old man at that booth this year that those mixes are still in your pantry.


6.  The coolest thing you could buy for yourself is really a t-shirt that says, "On my way to Skanky Town.  Wanna Go?"


7.  And finally, you can take the girl out of Austin, but you can't take Austin out of the girl.  In other words, I spent the majority of my time (and funds) at this cool girl from Austin's booth.  She made unique jewelry out of hammered metal and various leathers and hides.  I love the cuff I bought from her.  You can find her pieces at http://www.leighelena.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment