Sunday, October 16, 2011

chasing pavement

This Saturday, my step-sister, Jessica, and I ran the Kansas City Half Marathon.  It was Jessica's first race and she did phenomenal.  I was so proud of her and I know it felt good for her to run across that finish line.  Though we had to tackle some daunting hills throughout the race, I was distracted by the city's scenery of beautiful parks, cool artwork, and quaint hipster neighborhoods.  My favorite part was running through the Westport area.  I also really liked running by a piece of art that was stacked train cars.  Here is a picture of it that I found on the internet.


Not to brag or anything, but I do have to say that I am proud of myself for running despite some obstacles.   As mentioned above, it was a pretty hilly race.  My shins are screaming at me today for that... But what I was really concerned about before the race was the fact that I forgot a hat and my ipod.  I'm not superstitious or anything, but when you train for a race a certain way, you get used to the feel of certain things.  Jessica and I both trained with ipods and we both forgot them.  Also, I always wear a baseball cap when I run and she wears sunglasses.  Guess what, we both forgot those items, too.  Despite it all, we pushed through and I am proud of myself for that.  However, I was disappointed that I didn't get to listen to the special playlist I made just for this race.  I share it with you even though I didn't run to it.

KC Half Marathon Mix

1.   Canto de Ossanha  -  Jurassic 5
2.   Hip Hop Hooray  -  Naughty by Nature
3.   Animal  -  Miike Snow
4.   Murs Iz My Manager  -  Mr. Lif
5.   The Power is On  -  The Go! Team
6.   Run (I'm a Natural Disaster)  -  Gnarls Barkley
7.   Ladies First  -  Queen Latifah
8.   I've Just Seen a Face  -  Arlo Guthrie
9.   Now That We Found Love  -  Heavy D & the Boyz
10. Helena Beat  -  Foster the People
11. Quiet Dog  -  Mos Def
12. Everybody C'mon  -  Ugly Duckling
13. Grand Prix  -  Giant Panda

My mom and Adam were our cheerleaders and snapped these pictures of us after the race....



After the race, Jess and I rewarded ourselves with some deliciousness and gluttony at the Cheesecake Factory.  I ordered chicken and biscuits it was the largest portion I had ever seen.  Thankfully, I didn't eat the whole thing, but I did enough damage to look like a heifer.... oh well.  After that (and a hot shower), the girls headed to The Plaza for some shopping.  I normally refer to the store, Anthropologie, as the Devil because of it's amazing clothing finds at atrocious prizes.  However, my mom was there to help me out with some darling pieces.  My friend, Whitney, refers to an experience like this as "the magic hour."  Man, this moment with my mama was magical...  God Bless You, Betsy!  After the shopping and upon leaving The Plaza, I was rewarded with the creepiest fountain I've ever seen.  I will share a picture with you because I want you to be creeped out like me.  I don't really have to describe it because it speaks for itself...


All in all, it was an amazing weekend.  Lots of exercise, shopping and good eats, but most importantly I got to spend it with my loving family (here is where you say "aahh").

1 comment: