Tuesday, October 4, 2011

room by room: sleeping room

As many of you know, Adam and I began building our house two years ago.  Our builders completed the construction of it last August.  Despite the finality of the word "complete," I quickly learned upon moving into our new space that houses are never done.  Since moving in, my work as an interior designer has kicked in.  At the beginning, my efforts to design my house were quite amateur to say the least.... But, as I got comfortable in my new space and gained some confidence in this area, the ideas began to flourish.  Now, Adam hates it because I always have some design project going on.

The first step in beginning to design my home was overcoming the many obstacles that I faced: no money, impatience, etc.  Luckily, I had an arsenal of reading material to get me started.  Some books that I have loved are:

Domino: The Book of Decorating: A Room-by-Room Guide to Creating a Home that Makes You Happy
Editors: Deborah Needleman, Sara Ruffin Costello, and Dara Caponigro

The Well-Dressed Home: Fashionable Design Inspired by Your Personal Style
Author: Annette Tatum

Design Sponge at Home
Author: Grace Bonney

After scouring these books front to back many times, I finally got a feel for what I wanted my home to look and feel like.  Tatum describes my style as "Homecoming Queen" a vintage/casual look that portrays a feeling of comfort through antiques, cushy pillows, vibrant colors, folksie art, and open spaces.  It's like "tweaking an old family recipe" and the "accents have that same vintage yet casual appeal of a Nanette Lepore summer dress."

It is has taken over a year for me to finally style one room in the house.  Yes, that's right my friends it's just one room, a guest room at that.  Don't get me wrong, AP and I aren't sleeping in sleeping bags in the master bedroom or anything, but each room has bits and pieces... not yet fully complete to my standards (though Adam would just as well be done with it all).  So, I included pictures of our first fully designed guest room.  AP's dad calls it the "sleeping room" because it is in the back of the house and you feel like you are in a womb when you shut the curtains and turn out the lights... quite comfortable I hear!  So here it is!  I hope you like it!






1 comment:

  1. I love it! Andrew and I will be very comfortable in your "womb". :)

    ReplyDelete