Sunday, September 11, 2011

puppy love

I have always liked dogs, but I never really became a dog person until I met Adam.  Well, take that back... I never became a dog person until I met Ella.  AP had gotten her two years before we met in London.  Immediately, I learned it was pretty clear that Ella was an important lady in this man's life.  In fact, the future of our relationship had rested in Ella's hands... err, paws, I guess.  If she didn't like me, then Adam wouldn't date me.  I know y'all are laughing right now, but this was no joke.  My fate with this rugged Nebraskan was up to a canine.  I'd never been so nervous about a dog in all of my life!  Luckily, it was love at first sight for both Ella and me.  I knew right away from the ferocious licking and puddle of pee at my feet that this furry gal loved and accepted me for just being me.

Family Picture for Christmas Cards
I feel it is important to share the story of how Adam decided to get Ella... more like how they chose each other.  Adam had wanted to get out of his lease at a place where dogs were not allowed.  What better way to get kicked out than get a dog!  AP's friend, Clark, lived on a farm and his female rottweiler, Shae, had gotten pregnant by the neighbor's blue heeler.  This act of puppy love resulted in a huge litter of "blue-weiler" puppies.  Some of the puppies were crazy-looking mongrels, with longer hair and more colors to reveal their heeler traits.  The other puppies resembled their mother, painted like rottweilers with sleeker bodies.  Adam had his heart set on a mongrel (go figure).

When Adam went down in Clark's basement to pick out a puppy, his ankles were attacked by the little mongrel, heeler-looking puppies.  There was only one rottweiler-looking puppy left.  Instead of following her litter mates actions in attacking this new human, she sat back and watched the spectacle.  AP immediately noticed this pensive little thing and inquired about her.  Clark described how this little female was the runt and at first he had had to pull another pup off of Shae's boob, so that this little one could feed.  It was the only puppy Clark had ever held.  As you can guess, Clark's not really a "touchy-feely" kind of guy, so it was really something that he would go out of his way to make sure that this puppy got fed.  In fact, Clark said, "If I were to pick one, I would pick her."

I really don't have to tell you much else about that pivotal moment... everyone knows what happened after that.  Adam brought this little gal home and with the suggestion from his mother, named her Ella Blue (after the jazz singer) for her blue-heeler heritage.  She has been a loving member of the family ever since.
AP with Ella the first night
I not a crazy dog lady or anything... I mean, not in the sense where I wear doggy sweatshirts or have crocheted poodles around my house.  I don't take Ella to the mall every year to get her picture taken in a Scarlet O'Hara outfit.  But man, I love this dog so much.  Believe it or not, she has been an influential part of my life here in Nebraska.  She sleeps in bed with us every night, often leaving Adam or myself hanging onto the edge of the bed for dear life.  When I was sick with the stomach flu, she laid on the floor by the couch, never leaving my side.  She knows when Adam and I are sad.  She knows when we are happy...  and she is so excited to see me when I get home everyday, making me feel like a rock star even if I've had a bad day.

Portrait of Ella by Lauren Larkin


If your reading this, you are probably thinking I am certifiably nuts.  Well, there is actually research out there that suggests that dogs (and cats) are good for one's health.  So there is a legitimate reason while I feel so strongly about Ella and her influence in my life.  Here are some of the wellness benefits dogs and cats can produce in us that I found on the web:

1.  Critters can improve your mood
2.  Pets control blood pressure better than drugs
3.  Pets encourage you to get out and exercise
4.  They can help with social support
5.  Critters stave off loneliness and provide unconditional love
6.  Pets can reduce stress (sometimes more than people)

Ella catching a Frisbee
So there you have it.  Call me a crazy dog lady, I don't care.  At least I have good health and a positive outlook on life... thanks to Ella's health enhancing essence.  Here is the website with more information on the health benefits of pets: http://stress.about.com/od/lowstresslifestyle/a/petsandstress.htm

1 comment: