Saturday, September 3, 2011

big red in the big ten

Today was the Nebraska Cornhuskers' first game of the season.  Expectations were high as the Huskers began their first year in the Big Ten.  This game was a first for me as well... the first time I wore a red, Huskers' shirt.  Yep, it has taken eight years for me to accept my fate of becoming a Husker fan and joining the sea of red.  I know, it just doesn't make sense.  However, I did not forget my Longhorns.  Today, I wore an orange and white bracelet in honor of UT.  Here are some of my favorite pictures of attending Husker games or other Husker moments.  Notice in one picture I am wearing red; however, the top did not have any wording on it to affiliate it with this team.

Adam with OU fans at Big 12 Championship Game in 2006

With Adam's parents at a tailgate

Our friend, Seth, making my stepdad, Kevin, wear a Husker hat

My friend, Melissa, and I in the rain at a game

The Huskers played Tennessee Chattanooga.  They won the game with a final score of 40-7.  That sounds great, right.  Hmmm... not so much.  Though the Huskers won this game, there were clearly some offensive line issues.  Unfortunately, the Huskers were in trouble when Taylor Martinez (quarterback) was passing and not running.  I've never really been a T-Magic fan for that very reason.  He also comes across as arrogant and a bit on the crazy side.  But enough about T-Magic and the game, I want to focus on the important stuff - the Wiener Shlinger and red balloons.

My favorite thing about going to Husker games are the traditions.  After the first touchdown or field goal, the fans release tons and tons of red balloons into the sky.  This is probably really bad for the environment and the poor pigeons eating popped balloon rubber... but man, it is a really cool site to see.  Here are pictures of the balloons being released.  Much better if you see it in person, but still gives you an idea of the experience.  The song "99 Red Balloons" pops in my head every time this happens at a game. I encourage you to sing as you browse through these two pictures.



Another tradition that takes place at the games is the "Der Wiener Shlinger".  A fat guy in a butcher coat walks around and shoots hot dogs out into the stands with a t-shirt gun.  People go nuts for these hot dogs.  Yes, these bovine treats are very tasty and the wiener is dyed red in honor of the Huskers.  These dogs are good, but one would think he was shooting one hundred dollar bills at people the way they push, shove, and jump over seats to get one.  In 2006, I had the privilege of walking around with the fat butcher, Conrad, and his side kick (I'll just call him "short, yoked guy" because I can't remember his name).  I was working for Heartland Big Brothers Big Sisters and one of the bigs on my caseload was short, yoked guy.  He invited me to participate in the "shlinging" of wieners for the first half of a game.  I had a blast that game and got the sheer satisfaction of hitting one guy of the side of the head.  I got to talk a lot with Conrad and found out that he was a successful business owner... who knew he had a life beyond his hotdog calling.  Despite these positive qualities I found in Conrad, I labeled him a dirty, old man after catching him taking pictures of cheerleaders in the midst of toe touches.  Nevertheless, Conrad's creepiness did not keep me from enjoying the experience.  I even found Adam in the stands and discovered after a dozen hotdogs that the t-shirt gun has zero percent accuracy.  Below are some pictures from that game with my fellow shlingers.

Me and short, yoked guy


With Conrad - the dirty, old man

No comments:

Post a Comment