Friday, September 2, 2011

the cucumber tastes better when it's pickled...

One of the many things I love about Nebraska is its rural, rustic charm.  Yes, many friends of mine are probably laughing at me because I would be the last person they would imagine to love something "rural" or "rustic."  However, spending time here has allowed me to appreciate Nebraska's many natural offerings (i.e., summer thunderstorms, lightning bugs, wildflowers, etc.).  Lately, I have really taken advantage of eating local produce by visiting the Lincoln Farmers' Market, buying sweet corn on the side of the road, and accepting generous amounts of vegetables from home gardens.  A dear friend and colleague recently gave me tons of her home grown cucumbers.  At first I didn't know what to do with all of them, but Adam made a request for his grandmother's "Ice Box" pickles.  I was hesitant to make these pickles because they are sweet.  I have never really been a fan of bread and butter pickles... I am a dill girl, myself.  However, my husband assured me that I would like recipe.  Man, he was right.  These pickles are delightful, especially on a summer day.  I wanted to share the recipe because they are so good.  Some of the ingredients are not exact, but it is not too hard to figure out how much you need.  So enjoy!


Ice Box Pickles
(From the kitchen of Margaret Petsch)

4 cups white sugar
4 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup pickling salt
1&1/3 tsp. of tumeric
1&1/3 tsp. of celery seed
1&1/3 tsp. of mustard seed
cucumbers 
small white onions

Mix the sugar, vinegar, pickling salt, tumeric, celery seed, and mustard seed all together until the sugar is dissolved.  DO NOT HEAT.  Wash and sterilize mason jars (I put a drop of dish soap and run really hot water in the jar to sterilize it).  Slice one onion into each jar.  Score cucumbers and thinly slice, packing somewhat tightly with onions in the jars.   Pour the stirred liquid mixture over cucumbers and onions into each jar.  Refrigerate for 5 days before eating.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment