Sunday, January 22, 2012

baby on board

So, I haven't been able to post on the blog for a while because I have been a little under weather... not a cold or the flu, even though I have wondered if I did, in fact, have a permanent case of such a sickness.  Nope,  to Adam's and my pleasant surprise, I found out in September that I was pregnant.

The first trimester of my pregnancy was nothing shy of awful.  I had heard my friends and other women claim how miserable they were during the first three months of their pregnancies... but, I calmly dismissed such possibilities for me, thinking, "Oh, my experience won't be that bad...".  Well, so much for wishful thinking.  The months of October through early December were filled with an early bedtime of 8:oopm, headaches, nausea, and the unwarned vomiting session.  On top of the physical changes and turmoil my body went through, I was an emotional wreck.  One day on the way to work, I had to pull the car over to throw up in a business's parking lot.  I called my husband crying and debated whether it was even worth it to go to work with my smeared makeup.

Now that I am in my second trimester (19 weeks, 5 days), I am finding that pregnant life is a little easier despite my growing midsection and stretching tummy muscles and ligaments.  I am still pretty tired most evenings and often experience the weird dreams that everyone claims you have when you are pregnant.  I also have had some symptoms that I would have never guessed come along with pregnancy.  Bloody noses... gross, but apparently pretty common among pregnant women due to the membranes in our noses swelling to prevent our systems from taking on the unneeded cold or flu.  Also, one morning I woke up and felt like the bones in both of my hands had been shattered with a sledge hammer.  That feeling is none other than carpal tunnel syndrome.  Who knew that pregnant women can get this because of the pressure on the nerves and joints in our hands?

Despite, the weird bodily and emotional experiences, it's all worth it to hold my perfect bundle of joy in June.  I am reminded of how grateful I am when I feel little pokes and nudges from my peanut.  In addition, seeing Peanut up on the big screen (i.e., ultrasound) makes my heart go pitter patter.  So far, Peanut has my button nose, but his/her profile looks like Adam's.  It will be interesting to see who our baby ends up looking like!

10 weeks
13 weeks
 18 weeks

2 comments:

  1. Just remember that all that sickness, all that tiredness means that your body is doing something amazing - SO amazing! Can't wait for more updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, the nose bleeds. I had one or two with Drew. I am having one or two a WEEK now. I don't think it being cold and having the heater on helps. Sorry the little one isn't taking it easy on you- it is so worth it!

    ReplyDelete